Monday, February 25, 2013

Armstrong's

I (for once) didn't even have the intention of ordering a reuben/rueben. Since the new year, I was trying to eat a little better. And I already had at least one reuben with earlier this week. I was meeting my mum at Armstrong's in Caste Village for dinner, she beat me there and ordered. Not a salad. A reuben. I was pleasantly disappointed that my diet plan was intercepted.

Armstrongs is always busy, often times there's a line out the door. And for good reason. Reasonable prices and a great menu with a low key family atmosphere. I hadn't been there in over a decade, and it was still a great stop. Our food arrived ridiculously fast.

When I thought of Armstrongs I always thought antipaso salads, wedding soup, and fried zucchini. So for some reason I had been ready for a sub-par reuben. But this rueben surprised me! Starting with a seriously buttered rye toast, mild-not-too-sweet thousand island, there was a generous helping of corned beef round. This grilled sandwich was really well balanced, and was surprised, given the restaurant  that it wasn't squished by a panini press. The kraut was a little less than average in quantity but what this and the mild swiss lacked, the meat made up in flavor. What made this rueben stand out for sure was it's size. This was one damn big sandwich! I normally split a sandwich with my comrade, but since he wasn't there I took half to go for him... I couldn't finish! Although I really wanted to. :)

Unfortunately, I deleted my sandwich shot! I'll just have to go back. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment